Thursday, August 09, 2007

Cricket Time

It's dark and warm and the crickets and singing their sweet summer cadence, rising and falling and jingling like summer jingle bells. I'm out walking. When I was walking earlier, the cicadas were singing, a loud raucous din. It was a diurnal sound to this softer nocturnal one. I wanted to stay outside and listen for the change from one to the other. One would think that since I'm 61 years old, I would have heard that transition, but if I have, I cannot recall it at the moment.

Do they overlap each other? Does one stop and the other begin?

I wanted to listen, but I did not. I had things to do inside, and in the air-conditioned house, the cricket and cicada sounds do not come in.

5 comments:

bluerose said...

Hmm... good question. I'm always at work at that time. The next time I'm home, I'll listen. That is if the mosquitos don't carry me away first.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

With the dryness of late summer, our mosquito population has diminished quite a bit, thank goodness.

I've camped out many times, you'd think I've have notice this transition, but I can't bring it to mind.

Tara's Talk said...

Mary -
thanks so much for coming by my site:)

i love the barred owls too! I haven't yet got to rehab one. . I hope that if there is one in need locally in the future, I will get the chance:)

I would love it if you get a chance & would like to, share some thngs that you learned when you rehabbing:)

I will see you again soon:)
Tara

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I would LOVE to post about my rehabilitating and hope I am able to do that--I've been SO busy and today is biker buddy's birthday! Gotta go wild cooking, LOL!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Hopefully later.